The former princely state of Tripura was ruled by Maharajas of Manikya dynasty. It was an independent administrative unit under the Maharaja even during the British rule in India, though this independence was qualified, being subject to the recognition of the British, as the paramount power of each successive ruler.
As per Rajmala, the royal chronology of Tripura, a total of 184 kings ruled over the state before it merged with the Indian Union on October 15 1949. Since then the history of Tripura has been interspersed with various political, economical and social developments. On January 26, 1950 Tripura was accorded the status of a ‘C’ category state and on November 1, 1956, it was recognized as a Union Territory. It gained full statehood on January 21, 1972, as per the North-East Reorganisation Act, 1971.
Initially a one district state, was trifurcated into three Districts w.e.f. 01.09.1970. The North Tripura District started functioning in the office of the Sub-divisional officer at Kailashahar and partly at Kumarghat, later the whole office was shifted to Kailashahar. The Collectorate was shifted to the newly constructed complex at Gournagar on 13.11.1987.
Subsequently, North Tripura District has been bifurcated and a new District namely “Dhalai District” has been inaugurated on 14.04.1995 with district head quarter at Ambassa.
On 21.01.2012 the decision to further bifurcate North Tripura District was accepted and the district “UNAKOTI DISTRICT” was created with its headquarter at Kailashahar.